Friday, August 10, 2012

Two Weeks Down!

It has now been two weeks eating wheat-free.  It actually hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be.  Once I got through the initial wheat and sugar withdrawal, which lasted about five days, I have felt fine.  I haven't craved wheat or snacks, and I really don't miss it a lot.  What I do miss is the convenience of wheat-filled snacks and meals as they are much quicker to prepare and eat.  I find we're eating a lot of meat, which can be expensive, so we're going to have to look at ways to keep our costs down and stay within our grocery budget!

My husband is loving this!  He has lost seven pounds in two weeks, his headaches are gone, he's not snacking, he has lots of energy.  This wheat-free eating obviously agrees with him!  I, on the other hand, have not lost any weight in the past two weeks, despite following Weight Watchers for this past week in addition to my wheat-free eating.  I will admit that I've found it easier to follow Weight Watchers because I haven't been craving anything, but it's frustrating to not lose any weight.  I don't feel a lot different, health-wise, either. 

So I don't think that eliminating wheat has really done a lot to affect my overall health.  I've decided to continue eating wheat-free as much as possible, but I'm not going to avoid wheat altogether.  For snacking, I will not be eating wheat-filled snacks.  I will just have a little for main meals if I feel so inclined.  For example, I really love California Rolls from Tokyo Express, but there is wheat in the artificial crab that they use.  My husband and I figure that the amount of wheat in the crab is probably not substantial enough to make a huge difference, so I'll be okay eating them once in awhile. 

I'm going to try that for this week, while still following Weight Watchers, and see if that makes any difference to my weight loss.  I certainly don't want to go back to craving snacks and wheat, and I think it's important to keep my blood sugar levels even and not spiking up and down, so I won't be having lots of wheat.  I'm just going to be very careful about portion size and eat wheat-free as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment