Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 4 - The Fog is Lifting!

Well, I'm finally feeling somewhat normal.  I don't have the flu, so apparently all my symptoms this weekend were from wheat withdrawal.  Kind of scary, isn't it?

I can think more clearly today, and I actually haven't had many wheat cravings yet, but I still have to get through the evening!  My husband always finds evenings difficult, as he usually eats a bowl of cereal before bed.  He's had to resort to eating nuts instead!  He's actually doing much better on this plan than I am.  He's lost 4 pounds already, and is feeling great (I'm trying not to be bitter!).

I went grocery shopping again today to find some wheat-free flavourings for my food.  Now that we're getting into this more, I need more variety.  I was shocked to learn that soy sauce has wheat in it, so I bought some tamari wheat-free soy sauce, along with some wheat-free teriyaki sauce.  I also found some crackers made with rice instead of rice flour, and I made guacamole today for dipping my veggies in.

For lunch, I made a "sandwich" using iceberg lettuce as the bread.  I spread some guacamole on it, then layered on some turkey bacon and cheese.  YUMMY!  I also made sure I had lots of veggies along with it.  (It doesn't look super-appetizing in the photo, but it really tasted good!)

And as promised, here's the recipe for last night's Parmesan Pork Chops:

- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup ground almonds (almond flour)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- garlic powder & onion powder to taste (about 1 tsp of each)
- 4 - 6 pork chops

Whisk together the egg & milk.  Combine the almonds, parmesan, garlic & onion powders in another bowl.  Dip the pork chops in the egg/milk mixture, then dredge it through the almond/parmesan mix.  Heat a bit of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and brown the pork chops (about 2 - 3 minutes per side).  Remove the pork chops from the skillet and bake them in a 350 oven, covered, for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment